At Bungie, we take pride in how Test helps foster development excellence in order to deliver amazing experiences to our players. We accomplish this by fostering a collaborative but critical environment where Test has an equal seat at the table alongside all of the other development disciplines.
As a Senior Test Lead, you will own the testing of a large and complex area of Destiny by collaborating and planning with cross-discipline peers throughout all phases of development. Your role is to shine a bright light on risks at the earliest possible moment and then highlight potential healthy paths forward, weighing the tradeoffs and costs of your options. You will craft an in-depth understanding how your area's code and content function holistically to meet business needs, and you will learn and help shape our production pipeline to create effective test strategies and mitigation plans that will improve the value delivered to our players and keep our teams lean, flexible, and healthy.
Senior Test Leads are responsible for their large holistic areas and must be able to carefully plan a unified approach months in advance for how their area's many features intersect and come together to build a cohesive player experience. You will lead the conversation with your cross-discipline leadership peers on how to mitigate complex project risks and deliver the most value to your players. Together with your Production, Engineering, and Design peers, you will craft robust future-facing strategies for consistently and sustainably delivering your area's holistic content while pivoting and evolving those strategies to meet ongoing needs. Senior Test Lead roles include management and leadership of full-time Test Engineers and Test Leads to ensure proper coverage for the large scope of your area's combined work. Bungie’s Senior Test Leads will need to thoughtfully and carefully delegate smaller areas and feature ownership as they lead via preemptive planning and strategy.
The scope of a Senior Test Lead's area of coverage is typically equivalent to providing test leadership for a seasonal update to Destiny 2.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA & CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in WA & CA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA & WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Defines and oversees a sustainable cross-discipline test plan that takes into account the team's test staffing, quality goals, and time constraints
- Develops sustainable test methodologies for their complex areas and holds their Test Engineers, Test Leads, and cross-discipline peers accountable to those best practices
- Builds and delegates test maintenance strategies for owned content once it has shipped
- Increases the competency, dependability, and autonomy of managed reports through training and mentorship
- Preemptively assesses and mitigates long-term risks in a games-as-a-service environment
- Drives cross-discipline investigations into area-wide workflows and the production pipeline for the area of ownership
- Identifies improvement opportunities and solutions to project-level risks (including but not limited to cross-discipline process, test staffing, tooling/data, test methodology, prioritization, and scheduling)
- Utilizes project test coverage experience to work with team to build and maintain technical testing solutions that focus on short- and long-term sustainability and team efficiency gains
- Assesses, escalates, and resolves area health and risks; postmortems those weak points and implements cross-discipline improvements to prevent them in the future
- Strong desire to grow yourself and constantly evolve your approach and processes
- Experience leading a test project on a large (or multiple) multi-discipline team in a live service environment
- Robust leadership experience in a Test role within the games industry
- Excellent and efficient coordination, management, and delegation of test coverage for multiple interconnected areas
- Experience identifying efficiency opportunities for tools/scripting
- Ability to translate largescale and complex cross-discipline goals into cohesive test plans with a focus on cost effective alternatives and their trade-offs
- Ability to effectively collaborate with external-to-team stakeholders, and to convey complex concepts in a digestible manner (including documentation creation and curation)
- Ability to abstract, apply, and teach test concepts of risk, cost/value trade-offs, prioritization, and value-driven processes
- Experience managing multiple full-time embedded test engineers and test leads
- Familiarity with Destiny and/or Destiny 2 or other Action/MMO games
- Experience hiring full-time test engineers and test leads
- Degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Game Design, related fields, or equivalent experience
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.