Are you excited by game design, but even more passionate about developing amazing game designers? Do you take as much pride in your coaching and organization management skills as you do your ability to design engaging games? Is hearing a person in your department say, "I’m getting such clear feedback from my manager" music to your ears?
As the Destiny Design Department Manager at Bungie, you will manage the Destiny design team. You will partner closely with the Destiny directors to make sure the design team is effectively meeting current and anticipated project needs. You will oversee the management structure, recruitment process, organized craft development, and the performance review process. You will also train managers in the department to give clear and regular feedback, and ensure proper 1-on-1s are occurring. You will work with the studio’s Head of Design to help build the most happy, engaged, and ever-learning design organization in the industry. While we value and desire a strong design background, this role is primarily focused on people management and organizational health.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA/CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA or WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA or WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Build strong relationships with the Destiny directors (creative, design, production, and other disciplines) to ensure franchise needs are being met
- Fine-tune and oversee the recruiting process for Destiny while keeping it aligned with the other departments.
- Manage performance review cycles to ensure proper feedback is given and that promotions are awarded fairly with consistent standards
- Establish a culture of strong management in the department, and ensure that clear feedback is given, accountability is high, and designers feel supported
- Make focused efforts to increase diversity in the department and develop leaders from under-represented communities
- Scour the industry for best practices in craft, culture, and management, developing and leading strategies to mentor and grow our talent
- Work with creative and design directors to improve organization, processes, practices, and communication in the department
- Work with the Head of Design to define department philosophies, strategies, and values
- Relentlessly evangelize and hold people accountable to Bungie design values
- Proven experience managing and/or leading a design organization of 10+ people
- Proven professional experience as a senior designer (or above)
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and communication skills
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.