Bungie is looking for an Environment Lead who can bring positive leadership and experience to Bungie’s World art efforts. If you can create striking and performant palette pieces and enjoy leading artists to collaborate and deliver amazing environment content, then this is the role for you.
As the Lead you will be responsible for all aspects of planning and executing environment palette content. You will collaborate with the Art Director to define the vision and the goals for the building blocks of our environments. You will manage and lead the various palette artists as they execute on the vision and goals. You will partner with Production to ensure delivery, engage with Designers and World Artists to align the artistic experience and gameplay needs, and collaborate with Art Direction to translate the higher vision of the game into compelling content.
- Establish the bar for aesthetic and technical quality and efficiency standards and impart / uphold those standards within the palette team.
- Manage, mentor, and inspire team members, guiding them with clear direction.
- Work with production and art manager to estimate project deliverables, ensuring they meet the defined objectives, quality bar, and schedule
- Build and lead a team of artists in the creation and delivery of environment palettes
- Collaborate with the Art Director to align on and communicate the visual quality goals for all environment palette content.
- Work with Art Direction, World Art, and Design leadership to prototype new representative gameplay spaces.
- Strive to define, optimize, and enhance an effective art pipeline while identifying workflow improvements.
- Onboard in detail new artists to the Project Art Style.
- Outsourcing: working with production and art management to ensure palette leverages outsourcing effectively, providing necessary external facing project documentation to onboard external staff, and vetting outsourced incoming World content
- With art direction, production, and tech art, ensure project documentation for World Art style and workflows are up to date and shareable.
- Promote a culture of positivity and collaborative innovation.
- Identify, mitigate, and escalate risks in your area.
- With production and Art Management, curate, categorize and taxonomize World art asset libraries (2D and 3D).
- Understand and align on scope versus capacity of your team.
- Participate in regularized review and critique processes for World art and affiliated art disciplines.
- Radiate communication: ensure project and internal Bungie team receive regular communication on status of your team.
- With engineering, establish, and adhere to performance and memory budgets
- Proven team lead experience through full AAA development cycles
- Possess excellent written, and oral communication skills
- Thorough understanding of how to build for modularity, versatility, and efficiency
- Thorough understanding of light, value, composition, color, staging and detail in environmental design
- Advanced understanding of shader development
- Advanced understanding of the core principals of 3D World art content creation
- Outstanding ability to problem solve and drive creative solutions
- Be task driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; attention to detail
- Willingness to grow junior artists on the team
- Proven ability to provide leadership and direction to a team of 3D artists
- Experience solving technical challenges of working with visibility, terrain, and modular assets
- Deep Knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, Max, and other 2D/3D applications
- Ability to creatively align with the team and then take initiative
- Enthusiasm for playtesting, getting feedback, and giving feedback
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 or Unity3D or other modern development toolsets
- Experience with and passion for competitive games
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.