We are looking for a creative and passionate Senior/Lead Designer for the Destiny AI Design Team responsible for designing and creating the AI for Destiny including enemies, friendlies, and bosses. As Senior/Lead you will guide the team in creating the building blocks for amazing encounters and player experiences as well as personally designing, creating, and managing AI content and systems.
You will also work closely with the AI Engineering and Animation Engineering teams to define and build the tech we use to create AI and how we use the AI in activities. A fantastic candidate has experience designing AI for action games, understands how other designers use AI to create fun player experiences, is experienced with designing and tuning large amounts of content and systems, is technically proficient enough to write test-based scripts in a language similar to Lua or Python, is excited about fostering a culture of helping everyone make their ideas stronger, has tons of experience playing Destiny, and is a lifelong gamer. And since this is a lead position, an excellent candidate also has cross discipline leadership, management, and hiring experience.
- Work with a wide assortment of Artists, Designers, and Engineers to create memorable combatant experiences
- Write text based scripts that define the behavior tree for all AI in the game, using a proprietary scripting language; which is similar to Lua or Python
- Create content in our internal data management tools to create weapons, attacks, shields, and the like for the AI you are responsible for
- Communicate locally to the core people you work with daily as well as broadly across a large team in order to foster a strong team culture
- Collaborate with other teams to make sure they understand what their teams will need to deliver in order to make sure the AI delivers on the experiences you are attempting to create
- Break down what is not working on a character and the ability to convert that knowledge into realistic methods to solve issues
- Strong technical experience and ability to write text-based scripts that create the behaviors and define the behavior tree for AI (in a Lua, Python, or similar language)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to work as part of a large team; taking feedback and direction appropriately, and the motivation to work independently
- Highly organized, and ability to manage a large amount of content and systems
- Your leadership style is more interested in empowering team mates to make amazing experiences; and then you do everything you can to help deliver them
- Experience in Animation; able to talk anticipation, follow through, character and timing
- Experience in creating action game missions or activities; able to understand how another designer will convert your combatants into a fun and memorable encounter
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.