As a Partner Design Lead (Level/Activities Design), you will be responsible for guiding external development partners that create compelling PvE solo and cooperative experiences in the Destiny IP. You will guide teams as they create activities (including level design and encounter crafting), give feedback on specifications and playable builds and create style guide documentation. It’s the Design Lead’s job to maintain the quality and consistency of the Destiny IP while giving our partners enough freedom to meet the needs of their players and markets. You will also work closely with the Creative Lead and Sandbox Design Lead as part of a cross-functional leadership team that is responsible for delivering timely feedback to our partners.
- Maintain Destiny IP quality and consistency while working with an external partner
- Work closely with the project Creative Director and Leadership Team to set guidelines for implementation of the Destiny IP via partner teams
- Coordinate with the project Creative Director to ensure that partner projects stay aligned with Bungie's broader Destiny and creative strategies
- Guide partner efforts to successfully spec and develop all types of Destiny activities for solo and cooperative play
- Support the work of partner teams by smoothing their collaboration with multiple Bungie discipline teams such as Art, Audio, Engineering, Narrative, Tech Design, Test, VFX, and more
- Review the content of partner teams and skillfully work with them to revise their design vision based on reactions from studio leadership, project leads, and playtesting
- Work with Destiny design experts to collect design pillars and specifics, and share with our partner
- Previous experience as a Design Lead on a AAA or large mobile game
- A comprehensive understanding of the Destiny 2 player experience and its PvE activities
- Providing expert input and feedback on PvE FPS combatants, sandbox, level design, and encounter design
- Social intelligence, great interpersonal skills, and empathy for creative teams
- Ability to handle ambiguity, including effectively leading a team in spite of that ambiguity.
- Excitement for collaboration with designers, artists, programmers, musicians, testers and producers to achieve a common goal, no matter where they are
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Technical experience writing text-based scripts to manage game systems (scripting in a Lua, Python, or similar language)
- Multiple shipped projects as a designer or design lead within the FPS console space
- Experience working on games as a service/live content
- Experience crafting social mechanics for multiplayer games
- Experience working with external partners preferred
- Willingness to travel to China and host visits from partner teams on a regular cadence (likely every 2-3 months)
- Willingness to work outside of core hours for conference calls with partner teams (typically 5-8pm)
- Mandarin language skills are a plus
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.