Bungie is looking for Contract Narrative Designers to help expand the Destiny universe. We need a scribe to work with various design disciplines to bring the Destiny experience to life through mission dialogue, cinematics, and other story-telling channels.
You’ll be called upon to work closely with numerous teams across the studio to apply prose fiction, naming conventions, UI strings, and dialogue for various design features. A special focus of this position will be close collaboration with activity and narrative designers to drive the narrative for a release. The ideal candidate should feel comfortable working inside an established tone and style and be able to take direction while bringing to bear their own creative talents.
With a focus on teamwork and cross-discipline collaboration, this is a great opportunity to work with a talented team of storytellers to deliver compelling narratives in the Destiny universe.
Estimated Duration: 12 months
- Design and implement compelling narrative moments based on project goals
- Build, and execute on the vision for the narrative experience of a release
- Create captivating activity dialogue and cinematic content that remain on tone with the established style of the franchise and the product
- Partner with Narrative leadership as well as designers and artists to bring compelling, world-expanding fiction to the gameplay experience
- Iterate and modify work based on direction from both Project and Narrative Leadership
- Contribute in the creation of multifaceted stories and three-dimensional characters with strong motivations and well-defined dramatic arcs
- Generate and maintain story treatments, and other supporting narrative documentation
- Prepare reference materials and scripts for recording sessions
- Collaborate with Narrative Lead to develop characters and stories to drive immersive player experiences
- Collaborate with designers to provide fiction/writing support to new features and other design requests
- Collaborate with and inspire the development team to deliver on story goals
- Ensure that fiction team deliverables are completed in accordance with regular deadlines and production realities
- Master the tools and workflows associated with creating narrative content, ensure it is working in game
- Promote healthy workflows and solicit support for improvements
- Support an imaginative and fun work environment
- Experience doing narrative design and writing for games
- Ability to iterate and react to feedback in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Ability to assess and emulate the tone, themes, and character voices of Destiny
- Strong game, prose, and cinematics writing abilities
- A passion for and knowledge of narrative in games and other interactive experiences
- Comfortable working with proprietary toolsets
- Exemplary interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to take direction well, yet own tasks
- Good understanding of game production, design tool limitations and systems
- Exceptional team player with the ability to collaborate towards achieving product goals
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.