Bungie is looking for a talented Senior Lighting Artist who will help us to create new, imaginative, and immersive worlds.
The main function of this position is to ensure that Art Direction’s vision for lighting quality and execution is realized in a new IP. To achieve this, you will work with your fellow Lighters, Discipline Leads, and Art Direction to develop and maintain lighting’s contributions to the game. You will utilize proprietary tools to light worlds, characters, and in-game narrative content. Additionally, you will collaborate with our graphics, tech art, and tools teams to help refine the content creation pipeline.
This position is available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA.
- Work with Art Direction and Discipline Leads to establish and maintain lighting’s aesthetic and technical standards
- Work with Discipline Leads to develop lighting processes
- Drive lighting for game worlds, dynamic/scripted lighting, character and hard surface object light rigs, and in-game narrative content from start to finish
- Work with Design stakeholders to ensure gameplay needs are met
- Stay informed on new developments in rendering, particularly with regard to lighting, atmosphere, and surfaces
- Work closely with the tools and engine departments to prototype and test new lighting technology
- Provide feedback and direction to other production artists who are working on lighting-related tasks
- AA/BFA preferred, or at least demonstrates, through portfolio, an industry standard level of art
- Strong sense of light and shadow demonstrated by artwork, photography, theatre, film or CG work
- Excellent color sense
- Ability to follow design reference within a wide range of styles
- Demonstrated ability to light characters and environments, interior & exterior, different times of day, etc
- Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood through lighting
- Experience with materials/shaders and an understanding of their relationship with light
- Competent 3d modeling / texturing skills (ie. light fixtures / practical support for light sources)
- Wide understanding of lighting/rendering technologies
- Must possess excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work in a collaborative environment, taking direction from Art Director/Leads as necessary
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4, 5, Unity3D or other modern development toolsets
- Experience with and passion for competitive games
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.