Hi there! Thanks for taking time to look at this listing. We hope you think it’s an interesting opportunity! We like to think we are a fun and inclusive bunch, invested in our people and in figuring out how to best support them. For this role, it helps a lot if you enjoy solving people problems as much as (or more than) code problems! If that’s a space you enjoy working in (or have dabbled some and think you might be interested in focusing on it more), please click the “apply now” button!
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll get to learn about and support various parts of our engineering discipline. You will recruit, teach, coach, and mentor with a focus on cultivating a healthy and engaged engineering organization across projects. You will also get to help improve our management practices. Every day will present new and interesting opportunities!
While we value and desire a technical background, this role is primarily focused on people management and organizational health. A growth mindset is going to be your most useful trait, along with empathy and conscientiousness.
YOUR FOCUS IN THIS ROLE
- Implement strategies to hire, mentor, grow, and retain our talent
- Provide support, coaching, and career development advice to managers and/or direct reports
- Find and escalate problems in the engineering discipline, and help to create and implement solutions
- Collaborate cross-discipline with other discipline-focused managers and our People Team to improve our practices around performance and employee relations
- Manage up to (typically) 5 engineers
THINGS THAT WILL HELP YOU SUCCEED
- Ability to manage, coach, and mentor an engineering organization of 5+ people
- Enthusiastic about developing inclusive, diverse, and equitable engineering organizations
- Ability to build relationships, give feedback, and handle difficult conversations, all in a diverse and multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to effectively write clear, concise, and accurate documentation and communications
NICE TO HAVE
- An understanding of game development culture
- Interest in automating away toil in leadership workflows
- Ability to read and write code in a compiled language, for familiarity with the challenges of our most common engineering subdisciplines
Most Bungie full-time employees will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective full-time employees located outside of CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Contractors will follow a digital first approach adhering to the location guidelines agreed upon by our third-party employer/vendor and Bungie. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.