- Careers //
- Game Design //
Destiny Gameplay Designer - Weapons (Senior to Staff)Apply Now
Bungie is seeking a highly technical, creative, and team-oriented Gameplay Designer who is excited to make Destiny weapons the best they can be.
Do you love the challenge of designing great gameplay? Are you excited to do the hard work of creating understanding across a large team to what you are trying to achieve, and take them along for the journey through development? Do you obsess over core game feel like camera FOV/shake changes, controller rumble values, and other behind the scenes tuning knobs? Are you a game designer looking to work on AAA games with talented and passionate people in a team environment? If so, we have the job for you! Bungie is looking for a passionate and creative Gameplay Designer for Destiny 2!
As a designer on the Destiny 2 Weapons and Accessories team, you will work closely with the Design Team to craft robust weapons systems, exotic weapons, and seasonal weapons releases. You will collaborate with weapons team members from other disciplines, including art, test, engineering and animation to drive a holistic gameplay experience. You will contribute to the design processes to ensure your work and that of your team is the very best it can possibly be. You will also work closely with leads of other teams to plan cross-team features and systems changes.
- Provide leadership and creative direction to a multi-disciplinary team composed of gameplay designers, testers, artists, animators, and others
- Refine and drive the player sandbox design principles to improve Destiny’s weapons sandbox.
- Help set the direction for extensible weapons systems and future weapons team work.
- Work closely with the Leadership Team to achieve experience goals.
- Help build compelling second-to-second gameplay experiences
- Collaboratively plan, design, and balance top notch weapons gameplay
- Work with audio, effects, software engineering and animation developers to make in-game weapons features clear to players
- Exercise strong player empathy to put yourself in the shoes of players with various competencies, desires, and skill levels
- Previous experience as a Gameplay Systems Designer (or similar) on a shipped, high quality, combat-focused game
- Social intelligence, great interpersonal skills, and empathy for creative teams
- Ability to handle ambiguity, including giving and handling feedback despite that ambiguity
- Intuitive understanding of how second-to-second action games work and why people play them
- Strong understanding of in-game rewards and what makes them valuable
- Portfolio demonstrating the drive to make great feeling action gameplay
- Passion for collaboration with designers, artists, programmers, musicians, testers, and producers to achieve a common goal
- Dedication to contributing to a positive work environment
- Ability to take direction and execute on goals
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
For Staff level candidates, in addition to the above Required Skills, we are targeting:
- Leadership of large, multi-disciplinary teams
- Advanced understanding of game engines, technology and the game development process
- Experience with many modes of online play
- Ability to operate autonomously while holding a creative vision
- Experience in Animation; able to talk anticipation, follow through, character and timing
For Staff level candidates, in addition to the above Nice-to-Have Skills, we are targeting:
- People management experience
- Discipline-leadership experience
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing peer and junior designers
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
International FTE employees receive competitive benefits.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.