Destiny Staff Environment Palette ArtistApply Now
Environment ‘Palette’ are the assets that form the building blocks for Destiny’s environment art. Bungie is looking for a Staff Environment Palette Artist who can help set the inspirational bar for Destiny’s palette team to conceive and develop our environment palettes. If you can create striking and performant palette pieces, develop versatile modular libraries, and enjoy collaborating and mentoring with your fellow artists to deliver amazing environment content, then this is the role for you.
As a Staff Environment Palette Artist, you will be responsible for high-quality content contributions from new styles of architecture to props to natural assets like rocks and trees. You’ll help drive our environment palette aesthetics and execution, and plan / implement the modular art kits that our environment artists use to build the worlds inside of Destiny. You will also partner with Production and World Art leadership to ensure timely delivery of palette assets and engage with Designers and World Artists to align our environment assets to the higher vision of our Destiny releases.
- Establish the bar for aesthetic and technical quality and efficiency standards and impart / uphold those standards within the palette team
- Set an inspirational content bar for our team of Palette artists in the creation and delivery of environment palettes
- Collaborate with the Art Direction and art stakeholders to align on and communicate the visual quality goals for all environment palette content
- Work with Art Direction and Concept Art to help develop the aesthetics of new environment palettes
- Strive to define, optimize, and enhance an effective art pipeline while identifying workflow improvements
- Act as a mentor / force-multiplier for more junior artists
- With Art Direction, Production, and Tech Art, ensure project documentation for World Art style and workflows are up to date and shareable
- Promote a culture of positivity and collaborative innovation
- Identify, mitigate, and escalate risks in your area
- With Production and World Art stakeholders to curate, categorize and taxonomize World art asset libraries (2D and 3D)
- Work responsibly to the scope versus capacity of your team
- Participate in regular reviews and critique processes for World Art and affiliated art disciplines
- Radiate communication: ensure project and internal Bungie team receive regular communication on status of your team
- Help establish, and adhere to performance and memory budgets
- Proven team lead experience through full AAA development cycles
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with a great deal of autonomy to create innovative content supportive of Destiny’s visual pillars and the established goals for each release
- Thorough understanding of how to build for modularity, versatility, and efficiency
- Thorough understanding of light, value, composition, color, staging ,and detail in environmental design
- Advanced understanding of shader development
- Advanced understanding of the core principals of 3D World Art content creation
- Outstanding ability to drive creative visual and technical solutions
- Be task driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; attention to detail
- Willingness to help grow / mentor more junior artists on the team
- Experience solving technical challenges of working with visibility, terrain, and modular assets
- Deep Knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, Max, and other 2D/3D applications
- Ability to creatively align with the team and take initiative
- Enthusiasm for playtesting, giving feedback, and receiving feedback
- Work with Production and Art Management to estimate project deliverables, ensuring they meet the defined objectives, quality bar, and schedule
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 or Unity3D or other modern development toolsets
- Experience managing / mentoring other artists in a production environment
- Experience with and passion for competitive games
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
Contract and International FTE employees receive competitive benefits through their relevant contracting agency.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.