User Experience Researcher (UXR II to Senior)Apply Now
Bungie is seeking an experienced and independent User Experience Researcher II (UXR II) or Senior User Experience Researcher (Senior UXR) to join our team. In this role, you will positively impact Bungie’s Incubation team by contributing to or leading research efforts for emerging games that are early in development.
You will work closely with game development, design, and marketing teams to create and execute comprehensive research plans for Bungie products. To address Bungie’s burning questions about player interactions and motivations, you’ll design research plans, conduct studies, and transform data into meaningful insights about player perceptions, sentiment, and gaming experiences. You'll create persuasive reports and visualizations to demonstrate opportunities to improve our marketing executions and the player experience with Bungie games.
The User Research team at Bungie is integrated closely with analytics, product, and game teams. Our research takes on many forms - from formative to evaluative, qualitative to quantitative, and often takes a mixed-method approach. We tackle a broad range of questions. What motivates players to make friends in games? Who is the primary audience for this new concept? How can we improve the new user experience to avoid early churn? You will need a flexible mindset and the ability to tap into diverse research methods to deliver insights.
This position will require strong quantitative and data visualization skills, in addition to qualitative skills.
The UXR II or Senior UXR role will be a key partner with various teams across Bungie to tackle a wide range of research objectives. Be prepared to collaborate with game and UX designers, producers, marketers, data scientists, and other researchers. If you are an advocate for excellent player experiences, passionate about gaming, and you enjoy data, you may be the ideal candidate to join Bungie's User Research team!
UXR II Specific info:
A UXR II will support the execution of the current incubation roadmap and will own the roadmap and execution of a roadmap for future incubation titles.
Senior UXR Specific info:
A Senior UXR will be responsible for the above plus:
- Being responsible for our incubation strategy across multiple titles
- Leading our engagement with an existing Incubation title
- Collaborate with senior leaders on game development and marketing teams to identify research opportunities and create comprehensive research plans to inform the team’s decisions.
- Build and be held accountable for maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders of all levels with an emphasis on communication with senior stakeholders
- Design and conduct research studies using a variety of research methods – including but not limited to surveys, interviews, focus groups, usability testing, playtesting, diary studies, ethnographic field studies, and so on.
- Analyze data to provide meaningful, impactful insights about players.
- Present your analysis and recommendations through powerful visualizations and concise reports.
- Be a passionate advocate for user research and player experience across teams at Bungie, with strong empathy towards players, designers, and marketers alike.
Additional responsibilities at the Senior level include:
- Lead user research for one or more teams on a Bungie franchise.
- Own research strategy across incubation titles
- User research experience in a consumer-facing business/industry setting.
- Ability to develop open-ended, ambiguous questions into hypotheses for investigation
- Strong research and experimental design background
- Expertise in a variety of user research techniques, along with the ability to create new ones as appropriate
- Strong data analysis skills (both quantitative and qualitative) and understanding of basic statistics
- Experience with data visualization
- Demonstrated ability to persuade stakeholders and positively impact user experiences using data
- Effective written and verbal communications skills
- Highly organized and attentive to details
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Passion for making great player experiences
For Senior level candidates, in addition to the above required skills, we are targeting:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and influence stakeholders at the highest levels
- Demonstrated experience owning research strategy across multiple products
- Experience shepherding games through early phases, e.g., pitch, concept, prototype
- Advanced degree in UCD, HCI, Social Sciences (e.g., Psychology, Communication, Sociology, Anthropology), or a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics) with experience answering social and human-centered questions
- Familiarity with the gaming market and industry trends
- Familiarity with Destiny, MMOs and live service games
- Experience with accessibility research
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
Contract and International FTE employees receive competitive benefits through their relevant contracting agency.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.