Bungie is seeking a highly technical, creative, and team-oriented Staff Gameplay Designer who is excited to build our next great game.
Do you love the challenge of designing great gameplay? Are you excited to be involved in implementing and communicating design alignment across a large team of internal developers, and take them along for the journey through development? You may have specialties, but at your core, you are a full-spectrum developer. One day you might be evaluating and designing movement systems, the next day, planning out Gameplay pursuits and build-crafting experiences.
As a Staff Gameplay Designer, you will work closely with the Design Team to craft a robust sandbox of gameplay systems, abilities, combat synergies and character content. You will collaborate with team members from other disciplines to drive a holistic gameplay experience. You will contribute to the design processes to ensure your work is the very best it can possibly be. Additionally, you will also work closely with other Leads to prepare creative plans and evaluations and guide our peers toward meeting the experiential needs of the players and markets.
- Build compelling second-to-second gameplay experiences through character sandbox mechanics, especially 3C (Character, Camera and Controls) design
- Collaboratively plan, design, and evaluate top notch abilities gameplay
- Work closely with the Leadership Team to set guidelines for implementation of the Marathon IP via the extraction shooter genre
- Work with audio, effects, and animation developers to make in-game sandbox affordances clear to players
- Support the work of cross-discipline teams to understand and execute on what is best for the game
- Review the content of partner teams and skillfully work with them to revise and ensure consistent sandbox and gameplay experiences
- Maintain Marathon IP quality, consistency, along with sandbox design principles while implementing Gameplay content
- Leading the communication and “why” behind gameplay design decisions
- Ownership of features and development of design decisions with partner teams
- Validation of gameplay features through Bungie IP and Franchise standards
- Previous experience as a Sandbox Designer or Gameplay Designer on a AAA or large-scale game
- Experience designing, documenting, and building combat and character systems
- Intuitive understanding of how second-to-second action games work and why people play them
- Excitement for collaboration with designers, artists, programmers, audio professionals, quality assurance and producers to achieve a common goal, no matter where they are
- Ability to creatively align with the team and then take initiative locally and externally
- Social intelligence, great interpersonal skills, and empathy for creative teams
- Ability to handle ambiguity, including giving and handling feedback despite that ambiguity
- Experience in Animation; able to talk anticipation, follow through, character and timing
- Experience designing, documenting, and building weapon systems, damage systems, abilities, or any other sandbox system on any scale
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
Contract and International FTE employees receive competitive benefits through their relevant contracting agency.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.