Bungie is seeking a highly technical, creative, and team-oriented Staff Gameplay Designer who is excited to make Marathon the best it can be.
Do you love the challenge of designing great gameplay? Are you excited to do the hard work of creating understanding across a large team to what you are trying to achieve, and take them along for the journey through development? Do you obsess over core game feel like camera FOV/shake changes, controller rumble values, and other behind-the-scenes tuning knobs? Are you a game designer looking to work on AAA games with talented and passionate people in a team environment? If so, we have the job for you! Bungie is looking for a passionate and creative Staff Gameplay Designer for Marathon!
As a Staff Gameplay Designer on the Marathon Weapons and Equipment team, you will work closely with the design team to craft robust gameplay and define 3C at an atomic level. You will collaborate with team members from other disciplines to drive a holistic gameplay experience. You will contribute to the design processes to ensure your work and that of your team is the very best it can possibly be.
- Apply player sandbox design principles to create a diverse and exciting suite of weapons and equipment.
- Help set the direction for extensible weapons systems and future weapons team work
- Work closely with the Leadership Team to achieve experience goals
- Help build compelling second-to-second gameplay experiences
- Collaboratively plan, design, and evaluate top notch weapons gameplay
- Work with audio, effects, software engineering and animation to make in-game weapons communicate gameplay and fantasy clearly
- Help refine, develop, and create team processes to drive alignment and collaboration
- Previous experience as a Gameplay Systems Designer (or similar) on a shipped, high-quality game, especially if combat-focused
- Experience designing, documenting, and building game feel systems with a focus on mechanics and philosophies that drive it
- Demonstrable understanding of how second-to-second action games work and why people play them
- Clear history of collaboration with designers, artists, programmers, audio professionals, quality assurance and producers to achieve a common goal
- Ability to creatively align with the team and then take initiative locally and externally
- Social intelligence, great interpersonal skills, and empathy for creative teams
- Ability to handle ambiguity, including giving and handling feedback despite that ambiguity
- Understanding of animation principles, ability to talk anticipation, follow-through, character and the fundamentals of 3C
- Experience designing, documenting, and building weapon systems, damage systems, abilities, or any other gameplay system on any scale
- Portfolio demonstrating the drive to make great feeling action gameplay
- Demonstrable leadership experience
- Experience successfully leading interdisciplinary teams through several game development cycles
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing peer and junior designers
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
Contract and International FTE employees receive competitive benefits through their relevant contracting agency.
Bungie provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Bungie does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Bungie recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be initiated from an @bungie.com email address.